Sunday, September 26, 2010

Seriousness of Purpose

When you are about to begin a new life or work, go to God and ask with all your might and devotion that he will make it turn out for the best, as it seems most agreeable and fitting to him and be sure you are not thinking of your own advantage but only of God's dearest will and nothing else. Then whatever God brings about, take it as direct from him--the best as he sees it--and be completely satisfied.
-Meister Eckhart
And so I begin, again. It may be hardest for those of you who have known me best to hear me clearly on this new blog. For me, this is nothing but a renewed effort to pray in what I consider to be those two most difficult ways: 1) to say, "Father, not my will, but yours be done." And, 2) to "pray without ceasing," as Paul advises in 1 Thessalonians. I've failed every time I've tried so far.

At the bottom of this page, find the quote that inspired the title. The image at top, photoshopped, is a picture taken during my honeymoon of me praying on an empty beach in Zihuatanejo, Mexico. The images to the left are of Egyptian statues, signifying to me an attitude of seriousness and reverence that I admire and aspire to. Under those, or in the middle of those, I'll be posting quotes that are meaningful to me, or that have influenced my thinking. To the right, find links to my old blogs. (Or something like that--I'm still formatting)

One more note: all are welcome here, but I am making a conscious effort now to avoid "deconstructive" disputes, aiming instead to cultivate awareness and personal charity among any who seek reminders. Indeed, I make the same implicit moral demand that Eckhart made of his readers: der warheit bekennet, der weiz daz ich war spriche (He who knows the Truth, knows that I am speaking the truth).

Keep up!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for making the leap, Riles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the best of luck in your new venture. Keep the faith as it is all we have. Liebe & Pax.
    -PSM

    ReplyDelete
  3. just let me know if you want some help with the padding, margins or spacing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i always wondered what kind of person would put that virtual fishtank on their blog.

    i should have known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen won't let me have real fish anymore. Did you ever see my fishtank in West Lafayette? With the Red Devil? It's also a subtle (even deniable) Christian symbol, of course.

    What bothers me is that my posts-text comes too close to the content that's in the left margin, whereas it's comfortably far from the stuff in the right margin. I basically set it at 1000 pixels wide, with 200-pix wide margin-space, and a 600-wide middle. Or, I thought I was doing that.

    In other words, I prayed to G-d about the content, but forgot to ask for divine guidance with my format.

    ReplyDelete